Saturday, December 6, 2008

Arby's: I'm thinking boner

As we've elucidated on this blog previously, Arby's seems to have a problem connecting their food with anything that's appetizing. Their latest effort has gone down the unfortunate path of food sexualization, which we have covered ad nauseum here at Ad Wizards. So, prepare yourself for ickiness:



Man (on bed, candles lit): Honey, almost ready?

Woman: You know I'm only doing this for your birthday.

Man: I know, and I appreciate it.

In case you paused the video at the 10 second mark, let me just remind you that, yes, this is a fast food commercial. Not, like, lingerie, or anything that's supposed to be sexy.

Woman: (walks into bedroom dressed as an Arby's crew member, holding a tray with a meal)

Man (showing pronounced double chin): Wow.

Sex appeal --the advertising weapon of last resort. Only when you truly have nothing to say about your product do you go for all-out innuendo. What is sexy about a chicken sandwich, fries and a drink? It's food. It should be treated as food, and reacted to as food. It is not sexually exciting. Hunger and sexual desire are just two separate human appetites.

And yes, I get that this is comedically overblown. But It doesn't change the fact that they're linking Arby's sandwiches with sexual attraction. That's not funny, it's just creepy.

Woman: Ta da!

Man: (Arby's sign pops up with cheesy "boing!" noise) Meeeeee likey!

Really? "Me likey?" That is wildly out of date and unoriginal. Why not just have him say "Tubular!"

Also, Arby's gets the award for Least Subtle Boner Reference in a Commercial. Congratulations, Arby's, you had some stiff competition (pun intended.)

Voiceover: It really is a special occasion with Arby's Chicken Cordon Bleu.

I guess if you have some kind of Arby's uniform fetish, then, sure. Otherwise, I think when 99% of people get the Arby's Chicken Cordon Bleu, the occasion is "Tuesday's lunch" or maybe "late night food run with roommate."

Voiceover: They'll have you saying, "I'm thinking Arby's."

Actually, I'm thinking, "hire a new ad agency."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, God, I groaned so much when I saw this stupid commercial. Another case of you guys blogging what I'm thinking.

Windier E. Megatons said...

That's pretty awful. I mean, obviously the joke is that they've entirely recontextualized something that looks like sex and it's actually all about food. But even in that context, I just cannot find anything appealing about the idea of having an "Arby's boner." It's right up there with going out of your way to use the word "virgins" to describe people who have never eaten a Whopper.

Unknown said...

Yep...like I want to have my food associated with some big fat slob's boner. I'll never look at the Arby's logo the same again.

Anonymous said...

Frigging nasty.

Anonymous said...

Heh. I postulated to a friend in about 1970 that the Arby's logo was phallic. This commercial validates my opinion.