Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Just when you thought it was safe to wake up in the morning

If you'd asked me, a few weeks ago, if I thought there was any way Burger King could have made their King mascot creepier, I would have told you, "Absolutely no chance whatsoever." You have to admit, the King was already probably the creepiest corporate mascot in television history, so improving upon that would be difficult. But, by God, Burger King took up that challenge, and damned if they didn't succeed with flying colors.



Holy shit. Are you serious? I appreciate that the commercial's protagonist - I use that word as loosely as it can possibly be used - seems to be as weirded out by the King-Bot as I'm sure everyone watching is, but I don't even get the concept behind this, really. What exactly makes cramming a bunch of breakfasty crap into a single wrap so "futuristic"? It seems more like a throwback to the Great Depression. "We can only afford six strips of bacon a month, so we've got to make them last. Let's toss one into this egg-and-potato thing I've got going, and it'll seem like way more food!" Also, smoky cheese sauce for breakfast? I think I'm going to be ill.

Then there's the fact that the King-Bot apparently doubles as some kind of marital aid for Ms. Purple-Hair. Would you want to drink coffee that magically appeared with a point of his finger, armed with that piece of information?

1 comment:

Quivering P. Landmass said...

More Crispin Porter. Keepin' it edgy and fresh as always!

You know what would really surprise me? If Crispin Porter + Bogusky made an ad that wasn't disgusting, creepy or shocking-for-the-sake-of-being-shocking. That kind of commercial would be a demonstrable departure for them.